Saturday, August 30, 2008

First Post

Some of my friends will say there is nothing more nerdy than a chess blog. On the other hand, most of my best friends in life I met through chess.

I am envisioning this blog as being mostly about chess. Even though I have been playing for many years, I find myself enjoying playing much more than I used to. Hopefully my situation will allow me to continue to play at least once a week. I am thinking of posting my game with Zachary Weiner. It was a pretty close game until he blundered in time trouble.

As for what I am doing these days, I just finished my second masters degree. My health is fair. I walk at least 3 miles every day. I still get very tired alot during the day. I have a part-time job and am looking for a second part-time job. If you need a part-time employee (and have money to pay me with), let me know.

I am kind of tempted here to talk about Marshall club politics. I know I shouldn't publicly second guess the people who are actually running things, but I can't resist it. I apologize in advance. I'll pick something relatively mild to talk about:

A dues raise doesn't have the effect you might think. I did a study on this when there was an increase when Howard Prince became president. The people who leave as a result of an increase aren't the scruffy chess bums. We're the last ones to leave! It tends to get rid of the more solidly middle class people. What you have to fear is not those who walk with their mouths but those who talk with their feet.

The solidly middle class members would make a donation if you could give them a good reason. But people expect chess to be generally low-cost, and they see any dues increase as an offense. Its much better to document any repairs you have to make really well. Take out a mortgage if you have to. When the tenants' leases come up, bring them up to market. Go to the members and other participants and tell them exactly what you had to spend and why. Many people will feel honored to donate to the club if they know its for a legitimate reason.

1 comment:

larrytamarkin said...

I couldn't agree more - Now that we have finally removed the very nasty and horrible past president of the club (from being president that is) I've noticed an improvement of the Marshall's over-all atmosphere and quality of respect towards the members & tournament players. As the previous president had already raised the dues 18% over what it was before (and even more for non-residents and other categories), it would be a severe further blow if they raised the dues yet again. The club is on a roll right now and they should (with the tenants) be pulling in enough money to cover the expenses.